The Global Centre for Disaster Statistics, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
Global Centre for Disaster Statistics (GCDS) supports all nations the development of disaster statistics.
Their Key Activities
- Develop a partnership among GCDS, UNDP, National Disaster Management Offices and other related agencies in pilot countries (to be increased gradually) and consider the contents of support to be implemented by GCDS based on the needs of countries.
- Establish a database to collect and archive disaster statistics and other related data globally.
- Engage in the inter-governmental discussion of indicator setting for monitoring the progress on the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and provide scientific inputs.
- Study the possibility of research and analysis, utilizing disaster loss and damage statistics and related statistics (hazards, socioｰeconomics, and health sector) based on the needs of each country and promote related research projects.
Organize training programs, workshops and partnership meetings for administrative officers in developing countries, in cooperation with partner institutions.
- Improve infrastructure to disseminate lessons learned in Japan, including the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, around the world.